Types of Asbestos & Where Is It?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous mineral, which has been used in a variety of products for over a hundred years. It is often found in any building that was built before the year 2000 and comes in many different forms.
There are six types of asbestos in total:
– Amosite – frequently found in cement sheets and pipe insulation.
– Chrysotile – the most common form of asbestos. It can be found in roofs, ceilings, walls, floors and in boiler seals and insulation pipes.
– Crocidolite – commonly used to insulate steam engines, some pipe insulation, plastics and cement products.
Amosite, Crocidolite and Chrysotile being the most common types of asbestos. Amosite is known as brown asbestos, Chrysotile is known as white asbestos and Crocidolite is known as blue asbestos.
But as well as different types of asbestos, there are many different types of asbestos materials:
– Asbestos Insulation Board
– Asbestos Wall Cladding
– Asbestos Downpipes and Gutters
– Asbestos Cement and Roofing
– Asbestos Fibres
– Floor Tiles
– Asbestos Composites
– Asbestos Paper – can be the insulation within your home.
– Sprayed Asbestos Coatings
It can be confusing to understand where asbestos can hide in your room as it can hide in the insides and outside of your home in different areas, some in plain site in both industrial and residential properties. Below are two diagrams from the HSE website which show were the asbestos can live,
If you have any concerns about any potential asbestos, need advice or want to enquire about having some asbestos removed, call our team on 01582 722119 who can put in touch with our Asbestos department.
4,124 total views, 3 views today